On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:06:58AM -0800, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> Well, if you think that, don't help me! In reality I'm
> a new grad student who never really learned any of
> this stuff before (in my 15+ years of database and Web
> programming), but who now is expected to run labs on
> it. Actually the previously prepared labs I was handed
> were much duller, simpler, rote, but I insist on
> giving the
> students more. These questions I ask are for an OS
> course and an intro Sys Programming class. My
> university is not a top university, but I'm struggling
> to learn, and struggling to present this material to
> my students.

Please look yourself in the mirror and ask you are doing those
students a service or not. I always had troubles where the teacher was
"learning" the subject matter as he went along. Especially on hard
topics. C and systems programming are *hard* topics.

Have you considered Java or Python for starting out in programming?
As a beginner you get mired in memory allocations and strings and hash
maps which are hard to get right even by "proffesionals".

> I'm already 50 years old, but I came back to grad
> school because I want to learn--and to get out of the
> Dilbert scene which is all I've really known in the
> working computer world.
>
> So, again, take it or leave it! If I don't get answers
> from TCLUG, I'll just go somewhere else to build up my
> knowledge bank.
>
> BTW, I'm taking classes in Programming Languages
> (Robert Sebesta) and Algorithms (Thomas Corman,
> et.al.), so if I ask any questions about these
> subjects, yes, I'm cheating, don't answer them!

There is nothing wrong with building a knowledge bank, but part of
that is learning to do the research. This includes RTFM and STFW/G.

Please read this:

florin

--
Don't question authority: they don't know either!