Ok ... first off ... I am NOT trying to start any sort of major argument
on the list ... so keep that in mind and please send me your thoughts
and comments off list if at all possible.  I have held off posting this
just because I did not want to hear all kinds of arguments on the list.

So ... here goes.  I am looking for a "stable" "free" Linux
distribution.  Yes ... yes ... that is relatively vague, but let me
clarify a bit as I do have some requirements.

I use Linux for just about all of my work - word processing, number
crunching, email, etc.  I currently have a FC5 distribution on the
system and it is just NOT stable enough (yes I realize it is a
development platform and knew that going in).  I have had to shutdown
and reboot several times in the last few weeks - that is just
unacceptable for what I need and do.

So ... I am looking for a release that is stable, has good drivers, and
has plans to be around for awhile - or has been around for awhile ... i
do not have time to install several distros and see which one I like
either.

Current system:

Dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz (533 MHz FSB)
	- motherboard is more of a workstation type board.
4 GB RAM
USB - use for printing, would like camera features
Networking - built in gigabit
4 250 GB SATA drives (need good drivers for these)
	- want to have them in a RAID configuration
	- currently using software raid - not happy with it
	- probably will go to PCI slot card for RAID
	- motherboard has hardware RAID
		(but not for this number of drives)

USB and SATA issues SEEM to be my main issues - based on what I can see
in my log files or in terminal windows.

So ... please ... no flaming or ranting ... just experience or comments
relative to different distributions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Randy