----- Jon Schewe <jpschewe at mtu.net> wrote:
> I removed /etc/vmware/config and ~/.vmware and tried it again today
> and
> now it's working.  I'm able to start up multiple VMs.  Must have had
> some broken settings in there.

...and vmserver continues to function normally?  I'm surprised.  Is your networking behaving normally?

> Although now when I try and change the memory settings and save them
> vmware says "Unable to save host settings: No such file or
> directory".
> I was unable to find this via google as well, has someone else seen
> it?

Did you ever find resolution on this?  I'm curious to hear but have little insight to share.  I assume you've already considered permissions on the target directory.  Does the .vmx file exist?  Also, having just come back from VI3 training, our instructor has mentioned that he's seen odd cases where VMware didn't handle spaces and other non alphanumeric characters well.  My own experiences with various VMware products suggest the opposite.

cheers.

--
timo