I'm working on a project where we'll have an application that has to authenticate a user via ActiveDirectory.  We're going the LDAP route.  I have some questions on extending the ActiveDirectory Schema for our application specific user attributes.

On another project at school, we're looking at setting up a central authentication authority.  This is a homogeneous network with both Windows clients and Fedora Core servers.  I was thinking about trying out Fedora Directory Service, but will the Windows clients authenticate off it like it was ActiveDirectory?  Or is it better to run Samba's domain controller off of LDAP and then use the PAM LDAP for Linux?

Got any good books  on the subject?  Any recommendations?  Any FAQs?  I know LDAP pretty well, just need to know the in's and out's of using it with and as ActiveDirectory.

 I saw an  ActiveDirectory Cookbook (O'Riley) at Barnes & Noble this weekend and  thought about picking it up.  The price made me think twice.

Funny how the projects at work always seem to fit in with what we want at school.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis