On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 at 06.10.03 -0600, Jon Schewe wrote:
> How does this config file get there?  I ask because I've built many a
> kernel and the only time I find a config file there is when it's been
> part of the install of a particular distribution.  Is it standard that
> all distributions do this?  Should I be doing it when I compile my own
> kernel?

Anything in /boot will get there via distribution-specific tools.  If
you build a kernel yourself, copy it into /boot, adjust your grub
config, etc, then obviously the kernel .config isn't going to get copied
over there.  I don't know how many distributions do it, but it looks like
Debian and SuSE do it.  I don't think there's any great need to do it
yourself when you build your own kernel since you have the .config file
right there in your source tree, and it's in /proc/config.gz if you
built that support in.

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/