I have a (hopefully) simple question about mounting a shared drive on a
Windows machine under Linux (Red Hat release 9).

In the fstab file, should I list the Windows drives to be mounted by
their windows way of naming (\\computer_name\share_name
<file:///\\computer_name\share_name> ) or the Linux way of naming
(//computer_name/share_name)?  I'm currently using the windows naming
format.  Could that be causing problems with the mounting of the drives?

The reason I'm asking is that we have a drive that was mounting
correctly for quite some time (over a year).  Now we've added mounting
of another drive and it sometimes hangs up on a reboot at the point of
mounting the smb drives (as far as I can tell).  Once mounted, both
drives work.  The new drive was added to fstab immediately after the
original drive.  (I just copied and modified the line from the working
drive.)  They are the last two lines in the file.  The two lines are:

\\ir01\images$    /mnt/ir   smbfs
password=adminpassword,fmask=777,uid=563,dmask=777,gid=500,username=admi
nname/ourdomain 0 0

\\e-mail-receiver\dropfax$ <file:///\\e-mail-receiver\dropfax$>
/mnt/dropfax      smbfs
password=adminpassword,fmask=777,uid=563,dmask=777,gid=500,username=admi
nname/ourdomain 0 0

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Larry R. Pint

National Truck Underwriting Managers, Inc.

larry.pint at ntuminc.com

952-229-3451