From: Tipsy-in_Chicago Tipsy <tipsy_in_chicago at yahoo.com>
> I need some help here. I am not sure if SUSE rocks.........what i mean to say is
> that, I installed SUSE 10.0 on my Dell XPS 400 machine..and i have no clue how
> to enable internet on it. I am using comcast cable.
>
> I am a linux newbie...detailed info is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> KT

If you are not behind a firewall (directly connected to the cable modem), it may take a power cycle of the cable modem for it to release the MAC address of the computer you previously had attached to the cable modem.

You may also need to restart your NIC within SUSE for it to pick up a DHCP address from Comcast (you did specify DHCP when you installed didn't you?).

Personally, I never attach a computer directly to the Internet. I always use a firewall. Less headaches when moving computers around on a Comcast connection because all Comcast ever sees is the firewall. Plus I can (and do) run multiple computers on a single connection.

There are multiple Linux distros dedicated to being a firewall. Smoothwall (my personal favorite), IPCop, Astaro (spelling?), ClarkConnect, and a few more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Todd Young