On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 12:16:53AM +0100, markring40 at ippimail.com wrote:
> Here is the best Linux book I've come across;  Linux Complete (2001)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078214036X/sr=1-3/qid=1155682946/ref=sr_1_3/104-4635137-2746309?ie=UTF8&s=books

Ancient history. Skip ahead a few chapters...

> Then a sys admin for a local, South Dakota ISP gave me (years ago) his
> Slackware 7.0 CD's.  That is the distro that I learned the most from.  It
> has good documentation and it's own package utility.
> http://www.slackware.com/
>
> By the way, the Slackware Kernel was written by a one-time student of
> Moorhead State (Patrick Volkerding), where my son starts on Monday!

The distribution is maintained by a group led by Patrick. Slackware
uses the same (modulo misc patches) as every other Linux distribution.

Nowadays Slackware became bragging rights for old timers (just as
Gentoo is for new-timers) (and yes, it was my first distro too). Try
something more user-friendly: try Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu in any order
then stick with one for a couple of months.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't forget to search the fine web
for answers before you ask ;) If you don't find answers, it will help
you ask a better question.

Cheers,
florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra