Here is the best Linux book I've come across;  Linux Complete (2001)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078214036X/sr=1-3/qid=1155682946/ref=sr_1_3/104-4635137-2746309?ie=UTF8&s=books

I tried Red Hat following the instructions in the above book.  I didn't
like  RH.

Corel used to have a linux distro that was easy to install, but no good docs.

Then a sys admin for a local, South Dakota ISP gave me (years ago) his
Slackware 7.0 CD's.  That is the distro that I learned the most from.  It
has good documentation and it's own package utility.
http://www.slackware.com/

By the way, the Slackware Kernel was written by a one-time student of
Moorhead State (Patrick Volkerding), where my son starts on Monday!

I've been away from linux for over 2 years now and just installed SUSE
10.1.  I like it well enough, but I miss the old Slackware Xserver login
screens.  Anyway just my two bits.

Dive in and Have Fun!

Mark Ring