Jon Schewe wrote:
> I got a new machine and it has a DVD burner on it.  I've got some blank
> DVD-R discs that I used with my laptop DVD burner.  When I try and use
> them with my desktop cdrecord complains that the disc is unusable. Is
> this a +/- issue?  How do I figure out which my drive supports?

No it is probably a cdrecord issue, the author subsidizes his opensource
work with selling a commercial version of cdrecord that supperts media
larger that 1gig (meaning DVDs) and yes there are unofficial ports of
cdrecord but most distributions i've tried did not use them.

Those that i have used of the unofficial ports were buggy and produced
coasters but there was one application that did work for me, growisofs.

Yes the name does not say burn but it does burn DVDs as needed, read the
man page. Writing DVDs under linux is finicky at best; try, try and try
again.