I could be wrong and am very interested in what other are saying on this
topic, but I have been using CentOS 4.3 for my servers in my test
environment. It's based on Redhat Enterprise 4 and would be a distro I'd
recommend if your interested in obtaining Redhat experience (SUSE and Redhat
have the largest enterprise install base from what I've read).

http://www.centos.org

I picked up an issue of Linux Format at a Borders or Barnes and Nobles and
may still have a DVD with the full install and some other stuff. Save
yourself a download and it's a great magazine. Check it out and see if it's
worth it to ya.

I know any distro may be used as a server, but if you check out job listings
you will see a lot of "Redhat Admin" type listings. At least spend a little
time on a RedHat Distro (Fedora and CentOS are what I think of).

I agree with the Ubuntu talks as it's a nice little distro. I'd say to try
the 6.06 install and if that doesn't work try the 5.10, but I really like
running the new stuff.