On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:36:42 -0500
"Jonathon Jongsma" <jonathon.jongsma at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/06, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if you can use videolan to stream the contents
> > of your desktop?  I'm trying to setup a stream to "demo" an
> > application that's running repeatedly on one linux box.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Josh
>
> This is theoretically possible, but i always get segfaults when I
> try to do it.
>
> Are you trying to display a live version of the desktop in
> realtime or is a recorded screencast played back in a loop good
> enough?  If so, I'd recommend trying out "Istanbul".  It's a
> program that lets you record screencasts in the open ogg theora
> format.  I know it's available in Debian / Ubuntu repositories
> and probably others. (There's flash screencast tool as well, but
> I get frustrated when people do screencasts in flash because
> flash doesn't work on my amd64 box and I don't feel like setting
> up a 32-bit chroot just for flash)

Copied Mailing List:

I'd like it to be live, which was why I started down the streaming
route.  Maybe a little more information on the application would
help.

Trying to setup a web page where management types across the
organization (including other locations accross the US) can go to
see what our little group is capable of doing. One of the things we
are throwing around is having one of our custom applications
(a model of a custom user interface for a military vehicle) running
on a Linux box in a loop - someone can then pull up our webpage and
watch it live - if I get really fancy I might add in ways to
interact with the application via the web page as well, which is
why I'm thinking live now vs screencasting, but that's still down
the road. Right now I'd like to get the app streaming setup as a
proof of concept and go from there.

I mentioned military, so the things I have under my control are very
limitted (no root/sudo on the box, no ability to add capture cards,
etc).

Munir mentioned vnc2swf which looks like it might be a better
choice than vlc/vls.

Thanks,

Josh