On 8/3/06, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can use videolan to stream the contents of
> your desktop?  I'm trying to setup a stream to "demo" an
> application that's running repeatedly on one linux box.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

This is theoretically possible, but i always get segfaults when I try
to do it.

Are you trying to display a live version of the desktop in realtime or
is a recorded screencast played back in a loop good enough?  If so,
I'd recommend trying out "Istanbul".  It's a program that lets you
record screencasts in the open ogg theora format.  I know it's
available in Debian / Ubuntu repositories and probably others.
(There's flash screencast tool as well, but I get frustrated when
people do screencasts in flash because flash doesn't work on my amd64
box and I don't feel like setting up a 32-bit chroot just for flash)

--
jonner