Charlie O wrote:

> Has anyone in this group done audio recording with Linux?
>
> If so, what sound card(s) do you recommend for recording?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie O

Yes, I've done some recording from LPs and tapes.  The AC'97 sound on my
Soyo motherboard worked, but the recording quality wasn't very good.  I
got a "SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit" which played sound after many
struggles with ALSA, drivers, installation, etc., but I never did get it
to work with recording.  At the time, I think the input parts of the
driver were still works in progress.  The SoundBlaster did work fine
with Windows 2000, but didn't work with Win 98 -- it' s not supported there.

I got an inexpensive C-Media "Cobra 8xx-something" (don't recall the
model number exactly).  It worked very well with Linux (Ubuntu), for
both playback and recording.  I gave that away, and replaced it with a
Turtle Beach Riviera board.  That uses the same chipset as the C-Media
did, and records and sounds good.  The Windows software was a bit better
with the C-Media board, I think, and both work with Win 98.

None of these sound cards are top-of-the-line.  Maybe for the best
quality recording you need something better, but they all work well
enough for me.  They're all better than the motherboard buit-in sound.

I'm primarily using Audacity for the recording and sound editing.

...Just checked Newegg.com -- I think the "Cobra" board I had was the
A-Open Cobra AW850-D, but it may be different now.  It was not available
for a while; that's why I got the Turtle Beach board.

Kraig