Josh Trutwin wrote:
> But this was not valid syntax, having two hosts the same.  If I use
> something like "joplin2" for the second entry would that cause any
> issues with the hostname for joplin?  I am not sure if the host name
> entry in dhcpd.conf needs to match the actual hostname of the machine
> or if it's just a dumb label and I can call it foobar if I want.

I think it does matter, but the real issue here isn't DHCP [1]
it's your network config. As far as I know you cannot (or probably
don't want to) assign the same subnet to two or more interfaces.

Let's say:
  eth0 = # ma401       = 192.168.0.0/24
  eth1 = # onboard NIC = 192.168.1.0/24
Then you could have
  joplin0 = 00:30:ab:20:96:ff = 192.168.0.2 on the wireless net
  joplin1 = 00:c0:f0:3d:0a:8d = 192.168.1.2 on the wired net

And finally set an alias for joplin to point to joplin0 or joplin1
depending on which was in effect (using /etc/hosts or a proxy DNS
server like pdnsd).

FWIW I usually leave the vanilla hostname (e.g. joplin) point
to 127.0.0.1 (or in some cases update a FQDN via a DHCP exit hook).

HTH,

--Tom

[1] http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/