On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:54:04 -0500
Jay J <jay-tclug at 3pound.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:13:26 -0500
> Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's just too late...
> >
> > I'm wondering if I can do something like this in /etc/dhcpd.conf
on
> > my DHCP server for a laptop which has a wireless care and an
onboard
> > ethernet adapter:
> >
> > # josh's laptop
> > host joplin {
> >    hardware ethernet 00:30:ab:20:96:ff; # ma401 wireless card
> >    hardware ethernet 00:c0:f0:3d:0a:8d; # onboard NIC
> >    fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
> > }
>
> If that's not working (wouldn't surprise me either way), why not
just
> have two separate entries, different MAC, same IP?

I tried:

host joplin {
   hardware ethernet 00:30:ab:20:96:ff; # ma401 wireless card
   fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
}

host joplin {
   hardware ethernet 00:c0:f0:3d:0a:8d; # onboard NIC
   fixed-address 192.168.0.2;
}

But this was not valid syntax, having two hosts the same.  If I use
something like "joplin2" for the second entry would that cause any
issues with the hostname for joplin?  I am not sure if the host name
entry in dhcpd.conf needs to match the actual hostname of the machine
or if it's just a dumb label and I can call it foobar if I want.

> I assume .88 is the start of your dynamic 'range', hence the 2nd
card
> getting the .88?  (just curious)

My range of dynamic addrs goes from 60 to 100 - not sure why 88 was
selected.  Obviously I'm not very seasoned with dhcp...  :)

Josh