dan wrote:
> Both at home (Debian unstable) and work (Fedora Core 3), when logging in
> I often get the little pop-up that says "I've detected a panel already
> running, and will now exit." I'll click okay, and then it (often) immediately
> pops up again!

Dan, I got so fed up with Gnome 2.10 and it's family of "integrated"
services that I decided there must be a better way.  After doing an
exhaustive search of window managers / desktop frameworks I've settled
on a more minimal approach of Xfce:
  http://www.xfce.org/

While far from perfect, Xfce4 does everything that I need from a Window
Manager without the long startup time, memory usage and almost
"integrated" features.  As an added bonus I don't have to feel
that I'm supporting Miguel's .NET fantasy anymore.

Regards,

--Tom

P.S. attached please find
     % dpkg --get-selections | grep xfce4 > xfce4-pkgs.txt