A friend of mine shipped me his HDD to try and recover the data from it. It
was formatted as NTFS (Windows XP Home). I was able to mount it up and read
a small portion of the data on my desktop via:

/dev/hdd1 /corey ntfs ro 1 0

The intresting part was that the drive was reading 99% full. In talking to
him, he said that he had no more than 20GB of data total on it. More of a
side note I guess on this.

So, I manage to pull some of the files he was after off. In the process I
was getting file not found, zero fille data buffer, file type unknown
errors. After I couldn't read the drive anymore, I powered my system down
and removed the drive. I let it cool down some and put it in the freezer for
20 minutes. I managed to get more data off than before.

After about 20 minutes, I wasn't able to read the drive again. Back in the
freezer for another 20 minutes. Back into the system. On bootup, I started
to get a musical type tone from the harddrive. I was able to read it for
about 10 minutes, then it started in with the musical tones again anytime it
was accessed. Couldn't get anymore data off at that time.

I've tried a couple of different times to reaccess the drive, both at room
temp and after being in the freezer for 20 minutes. The drive is completely
undetectable on system bootup now, and consistently replays the tones.

Is this something that I can try and put a different controller board on and
see if I can access it? Or, is it completely dead now?

For what it's worth, the drive specs are the following:

Maxtor
DiamondMax Plus 9
80GB ATA/133

If a different controller board can be put on this, does someone have a
drive like this laying around, or can I use any controller board?

Thanks.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit. Ne Obliviscaris..