Hi Gabe,

I had much the same problem with a Brother HL-1440 Laser printer ($90-Tiger
direct)

When trying to set it up via the KDE printer wizard (on a Debian system), it
would always fail. I tried using the drivers marked "recommended".

When I tried one of the other (not recommended) available drivers, it worked
perfectly. As I recall it was the "GIMP" associated driver that failed.

HTH

Harv
Washburn, WI