On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:46:59 -0500
Jeremy Rosengren <jeremy at rosengren.org> wrote:

> This was probably talked about ad nauseum when the change was made,
> but I missed it.
>
> Why is the TCLUG list not configured with a reply-to that sends back
> to the list?  This is the only mailing list subscription I have for
> which I have to do a reply all in order to get the message back to
> the list.

Oh boy - here we go.

Here are two separate viewpoints:

http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

Personally as an amateur MTA admin, the idea of munging the mailing
list headers doesn't appeal to me.  any MUA worth the trouble will
have a "Reply To List" option since the mailing list information is in
separate headers, not just the Reply-To - for example on TCLUG:

           ^^^^^ yeah!  :P

<snip>

From: Jeremy Rosengren <jeremy at rosengren.org>

This is who'd be in the To: address if I hit "Reply To" since there
isn't a "Reply-To:" header with TCLUG messages.

            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good MUA choice Jeremy.

I think this is the one that would tell an MUA to enable a "Reply to
List" option.

Is it right / wrong?  I can't say, but I personally don't care for
reply-to munging, but I deal with it on mailing lists that choose to
do so.

Josh