Keep in mind that LPs are cut using the original recording run through
the RIAA equalization curve which de-emphasizes the bass and emphasizes
the highs.  When you record it you want the run it through the inverse
process to get back to the original recording.

You can either get a preamp for the turntable that impliments the RIAA
filter or run the signal through the phono input on a reciever/amp and
record off the tape out line. I picked up a USB powered preamp that
takes the phono in and provides a line out. I think it was around $50
with a bunch of software to do clean up on the recorded file.

--rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization