Jeff Rasmussen wrote:

> Here is what I wrote for myself about this issue on Debian Woody.  I
> have since moved over to Ubuntu and I thought that I updated some
> instructions for myself.  I just can't find them.
>
> http://jrasmussen0.blogspot.com/2004/07/creating-serial-port-for-internal.html
>
> Basically, you have to configure a /dev/ttyS[1-4] device that works as
> a serial connection to the hardware address of your device.  Setserial
> is the software you need to configure this, however it is not part of
> Ubuntu's default installation.  You will need to download the deb
> package and manually install it with 'dpkg -i'  I can't remember if
> there are any dependencies that have to be manually installed at the
> same time.

Thanks for the pointer. I've downloaded and tried setserial as follows:

   $ setserial /dev/ttyS14 port 0xdcd8 irq 10 uart 16650A autoconfig

which is the info given by lspci, but that doesn't help. I've tried it
on ttyS14 (the device discovered at boot) and I've tried it on ttyS3 (an
unused device).

I have a second modem. I might give that a try. I will also try the
Ubuntu 'breezy' distro.

-Jeff