Here is what I wrote for myself about this issue on Debian Woody. I have
since moved over to Ubuntu and I thought that I updated some instructions
for myself. I just can't find them.

http://jrasmussen0.blogspot.com/2004/07/creating-serial-port-for-internal.html

Basically, you have to configure a /dev/ttyS[1-4] device that works as a
serial connection to the hardware address of your device. Setserial is the
software you need to configure this, however it is not part of Ubuntu's
default installation. You will need to download the deb package and manually
install it with 'dpkg -i' I can't remember if there are any dependencies
that have to be manually installed at the same time.

--
Jeff Rasmussen
GPG public key 0x9686C12F