Tom Marble wrote:
> I agree, competition is good.
>
> Does Java play as well as it could with ICCCM, X, etc.?  It
> probably could stand some improvement.  But at least there is a *chance*
> of the same jar working multi-platform (and multi-vendor, I might add)
> as opposed to the SWT-ism's and WebSphere-ism's of Eclipse.
>
> Does Swing have competition?  Certainly.  At one level we can talk
> about SWT, at another .NET, and yet another AJAX (etc.).
>
> But just to set the record straight... NetBeans got better when
> Steve took over the group.  Now Tim's in charge and also doing a fine job.
> Having worked for both of them (in their prior gigs) I can say that sometimes
> the people make all the difference.
>
> Regards,
>
> --Tom

Too bad the competition isn't actually prodding them to fix Swing.

I now write all of my GUI's in SWT - and am very happy with it.

If Sun would stop having a war with Eclipse, they could just bring SWT
directly into the platform, and there wouldn't be any issues at all with
SWT from platform to platform.

That said, I don't really have a problem with SWT now - it webstarts on
all platforms - and if I'm not going the webstart route, my ant build
script simply kicks out a different build per platform.

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust