Florin Iucha wrote:
> Knock, knock! Is this horse still on?
Meet the new horse: it's apparently about windowing environments and
development platforms.

>    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-October/010527.html
>
> SUN/Swing are in dire need of some competition... Netbeans got
> significantly better since Eclipse showed up.

I agree, competition is good.

Does Java play as well as it could with ICCCM, X, etc.?  It
probably could stand some improvement.  But at least there is a *chance*
of the same jar working multi-platform (and multi-vendor, I might add)
as opposed to the SWT-ism's and WebSphere-ism's of Eclipse.

Does Swing have competition?  Certainly.  At one level we can talk
about SWT, at another .NET, and yet another AJAX (etc.).

But just to set the record straight... NetBeans got better when
Steve took over the group.  Now Tim's in charge and also doing a fine job.
Having worked for both of them (in their prior gigs) I can say that sometimes
the people make all the difference.

Regards,

--Tom