Hi Greg,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 05:26:39AM -0500, greg wm wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm surprised and annoyed to find that my backup linux server fails to
> compute a md5sum properly about every 3rd time i check a CD image.  so i
> guess that machine can't add, and i guess i don't really want it as my
> backup server afterall!

My guess would be the problem lies in the CDROM drive or disk that it
burned and compatibility with other drives.

> but waitaminute, how do i really know it's hardware?  i can imagine a
> software bug that is latent enough to only surface on occational
> machines.  how would you test such a bugger to see what's going on?

A single md5sum on a complete CD doesn't tell you much.  Try md5sum
on each file on the CD, or create a binary diff program that will
tell you how much(and where) the data differs.

> and then good grief, my XP machine..  i burned from it, the CD is fine,
> but cygwin sha1sum always fails the iso.  somehow this one doesn't seem
> so likely to be hardware, but how would i know?  what tests would you run?
>
> in an earlier life, before many of you were born i'm sure, working on
> data general clones my (then) company (kurzweil computer products) was
> building, i discovered (guess how) that the hardware could be shown to
> fail only when stressed with certain patterns passing via DMA while
> simultaneously testing memory.  i had to write the diagnostic to prove
> it.  i wasn't immediately popular with our hardware designers, but the
> test became standard in QA.  in the intervening 3 decades it seems i
> have been blessed with working on hardware that just works.  but now..
> my current life won't afford me the luxury of writing my own diagnostics.

Go for it, programming/scripting is fun!