At 03:13 AM 10/1/2005 -0500, greg wm wrote:
>hi,
>
>we've hit a problem with thunderbird.  apparently when you paste stuff
>from Word into thunderbird, and your recipient uses outlook, outlook
>then displays a raft of useless tags generated by word and ignored by
>thunderbird, often so badly trashing the message as to render it
>unreadable.   http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1777205
>
>no way i'm going to convince our director to stop pasting stuff from our
>vast array of Word documents.  nor can i expect a friendly response to a
>suggestion that he use plain text only.  and of course there's no way we
>can get all his correspondants to stop using outlook.  you can't rule
>people not even in your own organization.  what's left?  well it seemed
>a miracle i got him to switch to thunderbird, but, it looks ominous now
>we're running headlong into a switch back to outlook.

So MS Word is dumping junk tags into the emails...can you paste without
formatting? (this is one the capabilities of the 'Paste Special'
command...I don't know if Tbird supports Paste Special).  Either way, you
can enable pasting without formatting by following the instructions below,
copied from "Paste Without Formatting"
http://www.j-san.net/node/204#comment-2845

If you need a similar tool for Firefox, look here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=13
4&&page=comments

Pasting this way should resolve the interoperability problems (without
reconfiguring Thunderbird to send plain text only), unless the director
needs the Word formatting/tables/etc too.  Good luck.

-Haudy

------start of copy/paste------
Paste Without Formatting for Thunderbird
Submitted by Bill D (not verified) on Sun, 2005-07-24 17:33.
There is now an extension that corrects this problem.

Finally!

Check it out here.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1627246#1627246

(text added below, just in case)

The keyconfig extension allows you to change keyboard shortcuts.
[Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey (maybe)]

Okay, I finally figured out how it works.

The interface needs some work to make it more understandable.
The documentation is confusing, as well.
A Help button with a short, CLEAR explanation popup would be a nice addition.

But, once it works, it's very cool.

So this is what I ended up with for Thunderbird:

user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__Paste With Formatting", "control
shift][V][][goDoCommand('cmd_paste');");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__Paste Without Formatting",
"control][V][][goDoCommand('cmd_pasteNoFormatting');");

It makes Ctrl+V "Paste Without Formatting" and Ctrl+Shift+V 'regular/old
paste' (paste WITH formatting).

Paste as Quotation can be accessed through the main menu or right-click
context menu.
(or redefined to some other shortcut key sequence -- I rarely use it)

imo, this is how the keyboard shortcuts should be setup by default.

Thanks for the great extension. I've wanted this functionality since Tbird
came out."
------end of copy/paste------