On 11/23/05, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Fantastic, thanks for the link.  The comparison is icnomplete, however
it is stated that Reiser4 is good for small files and LOTS of them.
Sounds like a good choice for squid cache.

> Here's a related question:  The choice of file system determines if ACLs...
> ...can be used.  What's the current status of ACLs on Linux?  Are you guys
> using ACLs?  Any tips?

I'm not running my linux boxes in a real multiuser environment yet, so
I haven't needed ACLs to date.  I thought I heard that ACLs were
moving along, but I don't know any current status info.

>    Some Installable File System drivers and operating systems may not
>    support extended attributes, access control lists or security labels on
>    these filesystems. Linux kernels prior to 2.6.x may either be missing
>    support for these altogether or require a patch.
> I would like to hear your experiences.  Thanks.

I think ACL support requires a 2.6 kernel.  ACL support is primitive
in 2.4 IIRC and I would suggest running a recent kernel if you're
going to be using ACLs.

-Brian