On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> I've been using reiserfs for a couple of years now, and have never had a
> problem with it.  I prefer it over ext3 because it doesn't waste nearly
> as much space... ext3 (with default config anyway) wastes huge amounts
> of your disk drive.

I guess ext3 is layered on top of ext2 and maybe that overhead causes some
loss of space.  I don't know much, but this looks like a good web page for
an overview of many file systems (you can click on a name in the left
table margin to see a full encyclopedia entry):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Here's a related question:  The choice of file system determines if ACLs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_lists

...can be used.  What's the current status of ACLs on Linux?  Are you guys
using ACLs?  Any tips?

According to the Wikipiedia web page file systems (URL above), ext2, ext3,
ReiserFS, XFS and JFS all support ACLs, but I'm not sure that they all run
on Linux (do they?) and there is this note for ext2, ext3 and ReiserFS:

   Some Installable File System drivers and operating systems may not
   support extended attributes, access control lists or security labels on
   these filesystems. Linux kernels prior to 2.6.x may either be missing
   support for these altogether or require a patch.

I would like to hear your experiences.  Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor