Just some FYI to complete the ticket (?)
While I'm still annoyed that Dell does this to their home-user PC
customers, it turns out that they will send a replacement cheaper than
what I could find on eBay or anywhere locally.  We ordered it today.
$42, USPS shipping included.  ETA 11/28.  Not terrible.