My wife is from Quito, Ecuador, and her (far from wealthy) parents,
siblings and their kids still live there.  We would like to buy computers
for them and I'm trying to come up with a good way to do this such that:

(1) The computers will be respectable, current machines,
(2) they won't cost too much money, and
(3) shipping costs will be kept to a minimum.

I will be going to Ecuador one of these days and I think I'll bring parts
with me and assemble the machines there (probably 4 or 5 of them).  I'm
hoping that I can buy main boards, drives and such here, but buy the cases
and monitors in Quito.  I think I can fit the parts into a carry-on bag
and thereby avoid any S/H costs.

Any thoughts on that plan?

The next issue is software.  I would love for them to run Linux or a dual
boot system.  Everything has to be in Spanish.  Do all Linux OSs allow for
Spanish language installations?  Same for Windows XP?

If I could set them up with Linux only, they might not be happy.  Any
views on this?  I think some of them would be fine -- email, web, word
processing -- but the users who want to get into downloading photos from a
digital camera or doing video editing might have some trouble.  What do
you think?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.  I'm not sure when I'll
actually do this, maybe this summer, but I wanted to start planning now.

Best,

Mike