Before the switch, couldn't you just turn the cache time on the
domains to something like 10 seconds? Then after the switch move it
back up.

I only throw this out as an option because if your running it on a DSL
connection, it probaly does not get a ton of traffic and thus it
probaly won't kill your DNS server.

As far as dealing with the outage while your waiting for your domain
registrar, I don't know...

Brock