Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, greg wm wrote:
>> i'm ready to drop some $ for 2 simple servers, no m$ software, could
>> be custom built, could be stock metal.  general nanosystems seems good
>> but i haven't really become acquainted around town that much yet.
>
> For work, we buy Dell.. the 4-hr warranty is nice (as long as you get a
> technician that trusts that you have reasonable hardware diagnostic
> skills, and that the part you say is dead is indeed dead -- if the tech
> is annoying, I usually just keep asking for supervisors/managers until I
> get someone that'll give me the replacement parts), and I don't trust
> myself to build 1u/2u servers with proper cooling. If you buy at the
> right time, with the right coupon codes (and/or a sales rep who likes
> you), you can get some killer deals.
>
> For home, where I'm still tower servers, I just build 'em myself with
> parts from NewEgg. I've heard good things about MWave's builds - you
> pick the parts and they put it together for you.

Likewise Dell at my office, overall happy with them. Service has been
good for the most part, pricing is pretty cheap. I would say they don't
suck more than anyone else. Do wish they had Opteron servers though.

IIRC, you can get certified by Dell on their hardware for a relatively
low price and they will just order you a hard drive when you tell them
the hard drive is bad, or a motherboard if you say it is bad. I've been
planning on doing this eventually in my copious free time :)

If it's a box for your work, and you are going to be at all dependent
upon it, order from a known reputable seller who will be there to
support you tomorrow. You don't necessarily have to pay a lot to get this.

Josh