On Fri, 27 May 2005, Ken Fuchs wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Florin Iucha wrote:
>> Do you have any links/references/howto on using Fiber Channel? I was
>> interested in the same thing, but I did not find any good references.
>
> Rather than using Fibre Channel (FC), one might consider ATA/SATA over
> Ethernet (AoE).  There's a good article on AoE in the June issue of
> Linux Magazine.  There's also a less technical article on AoE in the
> June issue of Linux Journal.

First off, both of these statements are true: SCSI is dying, and SCSI is
taking over.  SCSI the hardware/electrical specification is dying, being
eaten on the low end by the increasing sophistication of ATAPI/SATA
drives, and on the high end by the decreasing cost and complexity of FC.
On the other hand, SCSI the protocol is taking over.  ATA is basically
SCSI-over-IDE, and 99.999+% of the traffic going over all fibre channels
is SCSI protocol.

I have some reservations about iSCSI (SCSI over TCP/IP), especially when
it's sold as ATA over TCP/IP.  First of all, it sounds exactly like a
standard invented by the marketing department to make managers feel good.
They understand ATA, they understand TCP/IP- two great tastes that don't
make you gag together!

The other problem is that TCP/IP is not a reliable protocol, FC is.
Ethernet also doesn't deal well with multiple devices trying to saturate a
single link.  What this means is that it'll work- right up until the point
it doesn't...

Brian