Quoting Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net>:

> Do you have any links/references/howto on using Fiber Channel? I was
> interested in the same thing, but I did not find any good references.
Hmmm, I don't know about something like an FC how to or similar.

> Example questions:
>    - what kind of cables do they need?
Depends on the HBA(Host Bus Adaptor) that you use. Some are copper and some are
glass.

>    - do I need a switch? if not, how do I chain them?
You can direct attach Fiber Channel devices, i.e. if you had one server that you
wanted to connect to one array. If you wanted multiple servers talking to a
single array then you would need a switch. I think some devices are capable of
daisy chaining in a fashion similar to SCSI devices, I think Apple's X-Serve
can be set up this way.