Josh Welch said:
> That being said unless you have some serious hardware I wouldn't worry
> about doing "FULL SPEED gigabit networking". Most home computers would
> have a hard time filling a 10/100 link. It takes quite a bit of CPU
> power and a decent system bus to move data at gigabit speeds from the
> disk to memory to the network and back again. I've recently setup a
> dedicated GigE storage network for IP storage and backup traffic. The
> highest traffic I've seen so far at any sort of sustained rate was
> 120Mb/sec, that was from a dual 2.8GHz Xeon machine, although it is
> running Windows ;).
>
> Josh

Windows!?! :)

I'm sure you're right about current home computers. I just don't want to
have to re-wire the house in five (or ten or n) years, when gigabit will
be no sweat for some machines.

I fully understand that 10G networks may be available then, but I want to
buy cable this year, not wait for specs to settle out.

Chris