Chris Schumann wrote:
> I'm considering adding a wired network to my house. It's more secure and
> MUCH faster than WiFi.
>
> What category should be use for FULL SPEED gigabit networking? I've read
> that Cat5 and even Cat5E won't quite do the job. What will do it, how much
> might it cost and where can I get it?
>
> Home Depot has Cat5E in bulk, but I would hate to be limited to 100BaseT.
>
> Chris Schumann

Cat 5e properly terminated should be able to do GigE. If you really want
you can do Cat 6, I don't think there is a huge jump in cable cost. I
know when we cabled our offices a couple of years ago the Cat 6 was a
couple of cents a foot more expensive.

That being said unless you have some serious hardware I wouldn't worry
about doing "FULL SPEED gigabit networking". Most home computers would
have a hard time filling a 10/100 link. It takes quite a bit of CPU
power and a decent system bus to move data at gigabit speeds from the
disk to memory to the network and back again. I've recently setup a
dedicated GigE storage network for IP storage and backup traffic. The
highest traffic I've seen so far at any sort of sustained rate was
120Mb/sec, that was from a dual 2.8GHz Xeon machine, although it is
running Windows ;).

Josh