On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 07:22:09PM -0500, Brock Noland wrote:
> I am writing a script which will take a password as an arg and need to
> use that password when for sshing around. For various reasons I cannot
> use key based authentication.

You can use lsh, an openssh alternative*, to do this. lsh supports calling a
seperate program for the password input (--askpass=/path/to/program).

You could easily ask for the password in the first step, dump it to a
short (properly chmod!) bash script that simply prints the password when
called, then call that bash script with the --askpass setting.

Obviously there are more secure ways of doing this.

* I do not advocate the use of lsh for anything other than this, it's
too debian-like.

--
Matthew S. Hallacy