I'm in the middle of a job search myself and trying to keep it as local
as possible,western suburbs.
It all depends on what "You" want to do it's out there.

How I got in to Linux?

I worked for a company as a programmer many years ago, COBOL on UNIX &
NCR computers.
While working that job I bought an OS called Coherent a UNIX look a
like, ran that for a long time
with DOS V3.3 on a 286/16 I could dance in vi back then.

The Coherent code didn't want to run properly on my shiny new Gateway
2000 486/33e. I sold the 286
with DOS on it and kept the Coherent package, I still have it. The Mark
Williams Company went out of
business (they made Coherent).

Guess what, Linux would run on a 486! I didn't run in to it until Red
Hat 4.x so it had been around a while.
I didn't even run X windows, just Linux connected to a network as a
Samba server. Then there were 2 Linux
boxes, I now have 9 computers 4 with Linux the rest with M$ OS the rest
of the world needs to dump so
I don't have to support it any more.

I'm going to install Ubuntu on a Compaq 500e laptop this afternoon just
to see if my Linksys wireless will work.

Sam.