fci wrote:

>This is probably the wrong place to ask.. but does anyone know of any
>jobs in the area (it doesn't have to be computer related, I'm just
>looking for a wage-type job or something that will hold my interest)?
>(email me if you know of any decent places, I am currently a web
>developer but it bores me out of my mind, I currently live in
>Shoreview)...
>
>and.. so my post isn't a total loss, I will make the topic now more
>linux related(hopefully this sort of question hasn't been asked
>before)...
>
>how is it you got involved in Linux?
>
>for me, I was doing various server stuff over SSH.. it helped me gain
>some rather basic skills so then I eventually installed a distro for
>permanent desktop usage.

Have you tried the engineering contract houses? Sometimes you can find a pretty good assignment with them.  I had a contract job though Areotek, the office was out in Shoreview north of the Deluxe Check campus.  I was on assignment as an engineering lab technician, on contract to United Defense on the Army Crusader project which was dropped by the Bush administration, project end, job ended, took my early SS and out of the job rat race.

Linux,

Thought it might be interesting to learn something new, it has been a
real learning curve.  I never was into programing or script witting, but
learning things as I go along.  So far Mepis has done pretty well for my
Linux experience, have tried a lot of the distros by downloading and
burning CD's from the iso images, a good way to "play" with different
distros.

 Retired and enjoy my time away from the rat race, also have a ham
ticket and use a few ham programs on the Linux distros.  I operate
mostly 20 meter PSK31, using KPSK, gMFSK and linpsk, all seem to be
pretty close in the GUI and work good, gMFSK has a few more "modes"
besides PSK.

Jerry