On May 12, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Erik Anderson wrote:

> I know this has been discussed a bit in the past here, but I couldn't
> find very many opinions/gotchas/recommendations/etc on them.
> So...I'll bring it up again.
>
> I'm looking to set up a nocat-esque captive proxy system for our
> wireless access points here at work.  Has anyone set up systems like
> this in the past?  If so, did you implement nocat?  Some other system?
>
>> From my research, there seem to be two major contenders in the OSS
>> market:
>
> NoCatAuth (http://nocat.net)
> and
> ChiliSpot (http://www.chillispot.org)
>
> Any others I should be evaluating?  I guess my only requirements are
> that 1) users authenticate via a webpage and 2) either radius or
> OpenLDAP can be used as the auth backend.  I haven't started playing
> around yet with these systems...I'm just trying to do a bit of
> homework before I dive in.

i've configured the nocat captive portal in the past for my home
hotspot.  last i checked, it had a variety of authentication mechanisms
available to it.  i haven't configured it in ages but i don't recall it
being particularly onerous.  if you're looking for a good support
community the nocat list seems to have a reasonable amount of activity.

i can't speak to the chilispot stuff at all. sorry.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC