On 5/11/05, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 06:59 -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> > Digital TV.
> > The federal government passed that law to force it on us, I'll have to
> > buy a converter. But that's good for the economy (right?), who's economy
> > I don't know. Maybe we need an OSS digital TV converter so I can use a
>
> From what I understand, mainly the FCC wants to "recover" the frequency
> ranges that have been reserved for television for so long. For what, I
> don't know. Corporate handouts for kickbacks as usual?

The frequencies they want to recover were only temporarily granted to
broadcasters with the understanding they would revert back to the FCC
after we all digitalized.  Those frequencies are/will be very
lucrative for the FCC to sell and the broadcasters want to avoid
paying full market value at all costs.