Ryan Ware wrote:

>On 5/10/05, Richard Hoffbeck <rwh at visi.com> wrote:
><snip>
>

>>If you look at the requirements of 'trusted computing' there is no way
>>that it can be good for OSS. For it to be effective it has to be
>>

>Am I mistaken, or didn't Linus just state that trusted computing was
>an idea whose time has come?
>

>I think most of the open source community has taken a rather Ned Lud
>view point on this whereas I think it will be more of a tide that
>raises the level of all the ships (Linux, Unix, Windows, etc)  It
>might be a little more work for everyone, but it will get done.

I'm guilty of misusing 'trusted'. I think Linus is talking about what is
usually called a trusted os with mandatory access controls and the
likes. These assign levels of trust to different users, processes,
interfaces, etc. but they tend to be self-contained within a system.
When MS talks about 'trusted' they are talking about locking down the
net so that only trusted systems can talk to trusted systems, and a
trusted system won't talk to untrusted systems - and of course they get
to define what constitutes a trusted system.

--rick