If the hardware industry is pushing this standard the closed source OS
people will not understand how to us the platform for a long time.

Look at the 64bit platform, M$ still doesn't have a stable 64bit
desktop. Most NIXs have 64bit in production, for a long time. I run
FC3x64 on my Athlon 64 machine (screeming fast by the way) sense
December. M$ XP64 was on it but nothing but 32bit apps are available and
some don't run on XP64, the good ones anyway ;-) The only reason I
shutdown the machine is because of thunder storms!

M$ has an OS that is just to complex to change easily, to many
dependencys scattered through out their entire system. You can't run
Active Directory without their (M$) DNS, the logic is to get companies
to move away from Bind and other DNS's. As a business move "someone"
could say thats smart. I would say it's under handed not to work
together, to make a network stable with a combination of products.

M$ does not trust anyone with their source, so when it comes to making
hardware work with M$ systems it will not happen, if the hardware
industry holds the keys to the standard. Hardware manufactures will
still need to get on the HCL for M$ OSs to get the standard accepted. If
they don't the OSS community will need to pull together to make this a
success (as is always the case).

What ever happened to the LIM (Lotus, Intel, and Microsoft) memory
standard (I know that dates me). The reason M$ OSs need to be restarted
is they never stuck to the standard the hardware industry set.

M$ wants everyone to use their standards, VB, .NET, C#, etc...

Just my 2 bits.

Sam.