Sounds like the resolution is set too low.  Is the output still poor
when using 'print' or 'prepress' when exporting to PDF in OO?  Prepress
should give the best output (2400dpi).
If still poor, I think most postscript processing in Linux usually
involves ghostscript, usually driven from a script like ps2pdf.
May want to start looking at settings there.

Bob