OK, I've got a very old laptop. 33MHz 486, no CD drive. I want to run Linux
on it.

I tried Gentoo, and got pretty far, but when I tried to build a kernel,
well... there are a couple bugs in the source for building for a 486 with
nopci and isapnp. I tried using their generic kernel genkernel, but that
panicked on boot. So I've kind of given up on that distro.

I'm trying a Slackware install over a network. I get NFS apparently working,
but once it actually starts to install that first package (aaa_base?) it
hangs. Then it says it's waiting for the NFS server. (That server is a
900MHz Athlon running Fedora Core 3 and NFS.)

I think my next step is to try a hard disk install. Nanobox Linux just
reboots over and over.

Slackware bare+root only has wget and NFS. No ftp, no smb, so doing any kind
of recursive copy is out... and NFS doesn't seem to work too well.

Any tips or pointers would be great, as I'd really like to use this thing as
a print server if nothing else. Getting X and sound to work would be just
too cool, but probably too much effort.

Many thanks,
Chris Schumann