> >> They'll be lots of problems.  Personally I wired up a 10Base-T network over
> >> phone-like cat-3 a _years_ ago, but it only barely worked (only worked on
> >> some cards, with packet loss).  There wasn't a phone line there to interfere,

Errr, isn't cat-3 what 10Base-T is supposed to run on? Sure the cards
weren't trying to do 100mbit over it? Or maybe the distance was just too
long?

> repunching.  other oft observed sources of trouble are bad jacks, flaky
> hubs, below spec wire (eg cat 3), running your cable alongside power
> cable, or having a radio transmitter in the neighborhood.

I thought CAT-3 was in spec for 10mbit? You probably have to force all
your cards to 10 as the auto-negotiation probably sucks, if it does it
at all...