Carl Zeilon wrote:
> At 03:59 PM 3/15/2005, you wrote:
>> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 09:07 am, Steve Swantz wrote:
>> > Would using one twisted pair for a phone line and two others of the
>> > same cable for ethernet result in network noise when the phone rings,
>> > or is the wire twist sufficient to reduce interference?
>>
>> They'll be lots of problems.  Personally I wired up a 10Base-T network over
>> phone-like cat-3 a _years_ ago, but it only barely worked (only worked on
>> some cards, with packet loss).  There wasn't a phone line there to interfere,
>> but I can only imagine if there was.  I ended up using wireless later when I
>> needed network there again.
>
> I must disagree.  All the houses in our neighborhood (7-10 years old)
> are in fact wired this way.  They use no phone wire at all, only cat 5e
> run through every room.  I know of many people running 2 phone lines &
> ethernet with no problems.  In my own, I run 1 phone line with 5 phones
> & a 4 computer network with absolutely no trouble.

it's severly frowned upon in the industry, with good reason, if you end
up being the guy trying to sort out the flaky problems that arise then
you understand.  still as many have noted, it's often done with no problems.

whether you run into problems is due to numerous factors that increase
the noise to signal ratio.  the most significant of these is how much
wire is untwisted at the jacks.  be careful to leave as much twisted as
possible.  i've fixed quite a few flaky connections by retwisting and
repunching.  other oft observed sources of trouble are bad jacks, flaky
hubs, below spec wire (eg cat 3), running your cable alongside power
cable, or having a radio transmitter in the neighborhood.

greg