On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:20:55 -0600, Matthew S. Hallacy
<poptix at poptix.net> wrote:

> rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.x /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x /boot/System.map-2.6.x /boot/initrd-2.6.x
>
> Much safer than trusting debian to mess with it ;)
>
> Does your version automatically update grub.conf? 'make install' does.

IIRC, it does. (LILO or grub, actually).

I decided to whack the system and move back to Gentoo. I was running
out of time to mess with the system, as I was held from doing any work
then. The system is fast enough that it took only a few hours to
compile on Saturday while I was at the Gopher hockey game, and it's up
and running smoothly in an environment that I already know how to
manage.

Knoppix-STD was a quick-fix that I used because I knew my old hardware
was slow enough that I had zero time to spend before getting any
actual work done. It was only later that I learned I would, after all,
be getting some new hardware. Had I known from the start, I would've
cross-compiled gentoo from the get-go and have had no downtime when I
got everything for the new system.

Lesson learned, I guess.