On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 03:21:00PM -0600, Nate Straz wrote:

> The difference is that Florin's kernel is managed by the package manager
> and yours is not.  After a few kernel upgrades Florin can `dpkg -r
> kernel-image-$VER` and have a clean system.  You'll have to walk around
> and remove the kernel, system map, and modules by hand.

rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.x /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x /boot/System.map-2.6.x /boot/initrd-2.6.x

Much safer than trusting debian to mess with it ;)

> What's the point of using a distro with a package manager if you're just
> going to dirty the system with unpackaged files?

I don't consider it dirty, it's two locations, they aren't mixed with other
packages files, and I know nothing depends on them.

Does your version automatically update grub.conf? 'make install' does.